Monday, November 18, 2013

Elephant Diptych

Progression shots of 2 panels (24 x 36") together - making a bigger painting surface from prestretched panels rather than painting on canvas tacked to the wall. Sketches of elephants from a trip to the Toledo Zoo this summer.






I wasn't happy with the results and left the canvases facing each other (maybe too hot to do in the summer; they stuck together) against the wall for a few months. I turned the left canvas on its side and painted this elephant over it (I had started this painting earlier and liked the elephant's lines so I painted it over the other canvas.) I left all the color from the first painting on it and so much of the yellow showing is from the first painting.


Then I added more color - and it was almost my only goal: to use lots of color. I used Liquitex heavy body acrylics in colors I don't regularly use. 


No comments:

Post a Comment